NUH fully complies with the NIHR RSS framework. The NIHR RSS is a national framework for local NHS research management. This framework enables front line staff to collaborate in offering a consistent professional streamlined service, with proportionate procedures, to support clinical research in the NHS in England.
The framework is designed to achieve the following aims.
- Cutting Bureaucracy – cut red tape and gold-plating of regulation.
- Accountability – enable the public to hold public bodies to account.
- Efficiency – cut the costs of administration.
- Autonomy – enable front line staff to use their professional judgement.
- Safety – protecting patients and organisations from unsafe research.
The Department of Health expects NHS organisations to publish an operational capability statement (OCS). The NUH Operational capability statement is available as a pdf download.
This is a clear statement about what NUH is able to do to host or sponsor health research. Sponsors and researchers can see and use the information to inform and speed up decisions about where to carry out research.
The NUH capability statement gets updated annually and submiited to the NUH Trust Board as part of the annual R&D reporting cycle thus demonstrating that health research is a core activity within NUH.